Finding Advice and Friends in Odd Places

I have a couple of Perfect Moments today. This is good because I have been worried about a lack of them now that I am in lockdown and laid off. Without the interesting questions or antics of my students, I am not sure I will be able to find them. I might need to get out more.

The first Perfect Moment comes from the slip tucked into the library book I picked up on Tuesday. As you can see by the picture, it is quite interesting. I think it is pure marketing genius to remind readers that they saved quite a bit of money by using the library. I knew it, and I suspect regular readers know all too well how much books cost. It is wonderful to own books, but if you read a lot, it is much pricier than a subscription to Netflix. If I buy books, they’re more likely to be paperbacks (though the power couple who own Canada’s bookstores prefer pricier softcover versions) or sourced from the bargain bin.

Yes, there are other options out there. I know there is an “all-you-can” read service for digital books. That sounds great and I may one day make use of it. However, the library is free and I am glad my tax dollars support it. Since I am reading two books, I saved 74 dollars.

The second Perfect Moment came when I found myself virtually riding besides someone I knew. This isn’t like the other time, when I was riding beside someone who had the same name as someone I know. This case, the Zwifter (can I use that word?) include our cycling club initials in her name. It was quite a coincidence to meet her as we crested a climb. I haven’t got my tablet handy while riding, so I couldn’t say anything to her to let her know it was me. However, I found myself talking to the TV similar to what I do when sports are on. I said “Hey! (and her name)” Of course, she didn’t answer me. I really should get a tablet stand or something. There are a number of people who gave me a “ride on” that I couldn’t respond to.

I did message her after the ride and she typed back that she thought it was me. She might have just said that to make me feel better, but there is no need to think negatively of her. She’s a good person and even if she is only being polite, she’s being polite. ON interesting thing is that she’s even newer on Zwift than I am.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Have you ever had something written on a bill or receipt or a note tucked into something you bought that made you smile?

This entry was posted in advice, bicycles, books, bookstore, club, cycling, finance, librarian, library, Newmarket Eagles, perfect moment, zwift and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Finding Advice and Friends in Odd Places

1. capejohn says:

Speaking of books. I get many of my books used. Mostly from Thrift Books dot com. There are quite a few of those little front yard mini libraries that I check out almost every day. Lots of junk in them but every so often I find a gem.

2. My budget consciousness kicked in enough for me to strongly urge my daughter to put a halt to more book buying. At least for the rest of February. We have an interesting house sharing dynamic. There really is no true division of things and we both love books.

It was once my dream to have a library in my home with bookshelves lining all the walls…..I wonder what happened to that dream?

• Common sense?
        All of my books will go to my daughter so not a major issue for me. We got rid of nearly 500 books when we thought we were moving to ON. Still had the same number to keep! She has been working on rebuilding her library. Perhaps 50 of those given away went to my sister, I told her to not get rid of them. We now need more bookcases after selling 3 of them.

I find that if I have a bookshelf, it gets filled up quickly.

Oh cool! I want my libraries to give me a little receipt saying how much money I saved borrowing books vs buying! Especially since I am a major DNF-er. Imagine if I had bought all the books I end up not being able to read.

One of my friends reads mostly audiobooks and when she did her end-of-year tally last year, she discovered she had spent almost $700 on audiobooks. And that’s ok. I mean, there’s a raging pandemic so it’s not like she’s can go out into the world and spend money on restaurants, movies, or other things we used to spend money on.

As for me, if there’s a book that I really need a physical copy of in order to read it and a free Kindle loan from the library just won’t do, I look for a cheap copy from an Amazon reseller. I don’t like to pay more than $4.00, including shipping. LOL

Who are the power couple that own Canada’s bookstores?

The power couple is Jerry Schwartz and Heather Reisman. He owns all the movie theatres and she owns all the bookstores and had once been in charge of Kobo (like a kindle–now sold to Rakkuten).
      They are big time philanthropists and apparently own the most expensive house in Toronto–thank you wikipedia.

I am curious about your friend and spending so much on audibooks. Isn’t there a subscription service or rental place with a monthly fee? I went to one of them once and I think it was something like ten or 15 dollars a month. Also, many libraries have fully unabridged audiobooks–deliverable online.
      Just a thought.

• Jinjer says:

Thanks for the info on Schwartz-Reisman. I like hearing about people that do good things with their billions.

I forgot to mention one tiny but important fact about my friend who spent nearly $700 on audiobooks last year. She’s German and it is hard to find audiobooks read by a German-speaking narrator. I think she said her best source is Audible. She gets one Audible credit each month. Every other book she downloads, she has to pay for. Usually €9.95.

Well, I’m waiting to run into you on Zwift!