Silver Lining?

I said goodbye to my class on Friday. We were down to three students and two of the remaining 3 are finishing in the next two weeks. What that meant for me was being laid-off. I had managed to work for almost a year of Covid, but finally my number is up. The remaining number of students (including another dwindling class) can only make up one class in total and I won’t be the one teaching it. As you can see, they gave me a nice farewell. I want to call it a Perfect Moment, but honestly, it is difficult to call it anything but bittersweet. (Cue the Verve)

I won’t be laid off forever, but it might feel that way. All of my other colleagues have been laid off, and it is no surprise that it got this far. I can’t imagine many people want to travel to learn English and the students that are in Toronto probably want face to face classes–which is not happing in the near future.

If there is a silver lining, it could be that I can get a few more things done around the house. I can also exercise more. I hopefully will take some time to write more.

This entry was posted in class, Covid 19, ESL, perfect moment, teaching, work and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Silver Lining?

Hope it all works out well soon.

2. Margie Swain says:

Sorry to hear that bro. I hope it won’t be for long. But. We don’t seem to be getting the vaccination anytime soon. Just start zwifting.

3. I was online with a friend who has been doing online classes for the past year. She said her throat and eyes get sore. Rather happy I chose not to do something similar as I am an English Language Early Years Educator. I cannot imagine singing silly songs, doing circle time etc. online although I know teachers do.

4. idlecyclist says:

I’m laid off for the second time. It’s not that bad as long as you have some kind of income. Make a plan to do something specific and plan lots of exercise. That’s keeping me sane this time as household projects are mostly done. Relax and enjoy it as best you can 👍

5. Pingback: First Month Accountability | Today's Perfect Moment

6. blossomkitty says:

Gee, I hope Ontario gets on top of the virus soon. Good luck with everything, Anthony. I hope you enjoy the time and use it to your advantage…

7. bgddyjim says:

Enjoy the time off as much as you can. We had a safety net when I was laid off last year. With that, being laid off was awesome. Good luck, brother.

8. Chanhyeok Park (Diego) says:

I appreciate for everything you ‘ve done for us. As I said, Tony, if you are planning to give individual or any kinds of classes, let me know !!

9. amleta says: