A Question for my fellow Cyclists

I am writing this short appeal to all the cyclists who follow this blog or who find it accidentally. I need your help with something. I need your advice and experience. I have started using Zwift and I notice that I am developing some tension between my upper shoulder blades. I did not change the bike setup when I mounted it on my inline trainer, but I am wondering if I should have.

Do any of you have a theory as to what could be causing this pain. Any advice or experience would be welcome.

This entry was posted in cycling, cycling gear, zwift and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to A Question for my fellow Cyclists

1. What does your trainer setup look like? Are you using a riser block under your front wheel to compensate for the height of the rear? It could just be down to getting used to it though, there’s a lot less body movement and changing positions on the trainer compared to out on the road. It can take some getting used to.

There is a wheel stabilizer, but no riser block. However, it doesn’t feel tilted downward….I will have to break out the level.
      It isn’t the same as riding on the road for sure…..but interesting nonetheless.

2. Sheree says:

No idea, my husband has been using Swift for past three months and hasn’t experienced any issues.

Which trainer do you have, again? Check to see if your bike is level. Because my ex was using a different tire size, instead of adjusting the height of the trainer, he slipped a piece of plywood under the trainer. I haven’t had any physical issues from using the trainer, but I’ve noticed that because of the height my laptop sits on the desk, that I ride in the drops 99% of the time. Outside, I’m on the hoods 90% of the time. So, maybe it’s not the trainer that is causing the problem, but where you’ve put your screen.

I have a Saris H3. I will check the height today and see. I am riding mostly on the hoods. I thought I might get low back pain, but just some contracting between the shoulder blades. I don’t feel bad today, so maybe I need to just improve my fitness. I had about two months off from cycling and maybe became week.
      I will also check my cycling medicine book.

I put some plywood under the trainer part and it was much better. The back is sitting way too low causing a strange angle. Unfortunately, the trainer seems to move off the plywood as I am vigorously pedaling. One problem at a time.

I forgot to say thank you.

4. Pingback: A Bunch of Stuff | Today's Perfect Moment