An Early Christmas Present to Myself

First and foremost, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to anyone celebrating anything. If you’re not celebrating anything or because of Covid you are not in the mood to celebrate anything, all I can say is that we are here for you if you want someone to listen to you rant.

It has been a busy few days. I finished painting, and touching up where the masking tape took off the paint. It isn’t perfect, but it will do. I haven’t got many of the things I am planning on putting in the room in and organized, but it is getting there.

I have started to set up my Pain Cave (is it only cyclists who use this term?) as I was finally able to get my hands on a trainer. I’ve got a bunch of things still to move, but the bike is up and facing the TV. Soon I will be on Zwift lagging behind other riders just like in real life. I am determined to be in better shape when the outdoor cycling season starts again next spring. I’ve put on the covid pudge (as a co-worker called it) and I am determined to get it off.

I know I should be writing something more reflective and in tune with the holidays, but this is all I’ve got for now.

This entry was posted in accomplishment, bicycles, Christmas, Covid 19, cycling, cycling gear, exercise, perfect moment, presents, reflection, weight loss. Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to An Early Christmas Present to Myself

1. bgddyjim says:

Merry Christmas, brother. Ditto Sheree.

Sweet! Maybe I’ll see you on Zwift?! Merry Jesus Day!

3. Kally says:

“Peace on earth will come to stay when we live Christmas every day.” – Quote by Helen Steiner Rice

May you have a wonderful and beautiful Christmas with your loved ones.

4. Pain cave… I plan to spend way less time biking and using my old metal trainer may be the way to do that, though it’s boring as hell. I don’t think Zwift is a good idea for me. I don’t even in real life, so why bother to virtually? I’m better off watching a biking in nature video on YouTube, assuming they have them. But whatever works for you.

I can tell you that biking as much as I did didn’t help me lose weight. Sadly, abs really are made in the kitchen, and or from depriving oneself if enjoying food and reducing the calories quite a bit. Hard to do when biking alit. Also probably weight lifting aka resistance training maybe body weight work can help burn fat.

But that’s me. If Zwift works for you and you enjoy it, especially since biking outside isn’t very feasible for you in winters, go for it! Best wishes and I hope you get some enjoyment and satisfaction from it!

It is like they say “you can’t outrace your fork.” Diet and muscle building are more important than cycling to lose weight, but I want the stamina for cycling.

• I haven’t heard that one but it seems true. It’s all a balancing act. I’m probably overbalanced in the biking department, though. Quality not quantity is the goal for 2021 to improve my overall fitness. I hope you build up your stamina. Seems you need a trainer and Zwift if you want to do it year round, or a snow bike with lots of cold weather gear. Thanks, Anthony.

Maybe next year the budget will stretch to a Fatbike and some real cold weather gear–or if I am lucky some cycling vacations in warm places.

• Hey, I resemble that remark! Ha. Yes, didn’t you go to Colombia and were set to return or go elsewhere before, it? Austin winters are pretty mild for the most part, come on down, I’ll be glad to show you around!

I heard Austin is amazing.

• It’s really hot, has cedar fever, bad traffic, high rent, is ok with some bike lanes but could be better, all the good old places are being torn down and replaced by condos filled with high tech bros with their first world California money, too many other people keep moving here, and is still in Texas (religious conservatives). And there’s Covid Lots of the music business is dead or dying.

Aside from that, yeah, it’s pretty alright!

I was planning on visiting for the music and the barbecue.

• I’d avoid summer if your not used to 100° weather (38° C) and if prone to allergies, winter too. Otherwise, come on down!