Should Have Been a Perfect Moment

A couple of years ago, a student complained that I had accepted him as a follower on my Instagram account, but hadn’t followed him back. He explained to me (in decent enough English that I was impressed at his debating skills) that when he “followed me” I was under a social contract to follow him back. I didn’t quite agree, and still don’t, but to get back to talking about the present perfect, I followed him back.

I only bring this up because of my current circumstances. This morning, my phone alerted me that I got a bunch of new subscribers while I slept. This was great news. I am always hoping some of my more positive messages, or hopefully interesting turns of phrase, will catch more people’s attention. I believe, rightly or wrongly, that having lots of followers might be an indicator of this, or might at least spread my message to the people who are likely to read it, somehow benefit from it, and feel like commenting.

I usually gain about 2 new readers a month. I probably lose 2 readers a month as well, but they don’t delete me. They probably don’t read what I write, but they still appear as followers. However, getting four or five in a day seems rather strange. If I had appeared on “Freshly Pressed” or some other promotional vehicle, I would understand it, but this was unprecedented so far.

Sadly, after taking a look at these new followers, they don’t appear to be bloggers, but some kind of advertising. I did not bend to my student’s argument that I am somehow obligated to follow them back. I definitely am not.

For the few who are genuine followers. Thank you. I appreciate any sliver of time you spend reading what I write. This is an important outlet for me and I am really glad I can share it.

About Anthony

I am: equal parts rebel, romantic and shockingly average Joe. a writer trapped inside of an ESL teacher's body. an introverted attention seeker. a teacher who hopes one day to be called "Captain, my Captain." an intellectual who can do some very dumb things. a person whose Japan experience, despite being so long ago, still exerts a strong influence upon him. a lover of books, music, beer, hockey and Pizza.
This entry was posted in blog, blog posts, blogging, blogposts, growing your blog, increasing blog traffic and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Should Have Been a Perfect Moment

  1. Lkvy says:

    I’d love to find more blogs to follow! But every time I come across a good one, I find that the person stopped posting years ago. 😩

  2. idlecyclist says:

    I love getting new followers but equally I love finding someone new and interesting to follow. Lots of my followers are there for their own self promotion so the occasional good ones are real finds 😊

  3. I do not agree that an automatic follow back is required. I only follow, of unfollow, or mute, whomever I want.

    Sometimes it all just gets too much…

    Always enjoy popping into here my friend. 🙂

  4. retrodee says:

    When I started my blog, I started it for me. I didn’t care if anyone else ever read it. It was the first time in my life that I didn’t try to get people to like me. And it was very liberating. I estimate that 98% of the people who read my blog just pretend to, or do so to be nice. The other 2% actually care about the topic. One thing I’ll say for sure though, the more people who read your stuff, the less freedom you’ll have. As it is, I can’t really say what I want anymore. Just the price of going public, I guess.

    • Anthony says:

      That last idea is very interesting. I hope you don’t feel that you need to edit yourself or not express yourself around me.

      • retrodee says:

        Oh no, I just meant I want to keep the theme of my blog mostly upbeat and “innocent” the way the 1950’s were. But that can be really hard sometimes, especially these days!

  5. Margie says:

    Should a would a coulda

  6. Zoewiezoe says:

    That contractual obligation story is such bs if you ask me. The whole follow back principle never makes sense to me xD.
    I just follow for the quality, not quantity

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s