A belated Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. Remember, even if you celebrate it later in the year, there is nothing wrong with celebrating it now too. We all need as many good things as we can.
Like most of you (hopefully) I was sensible during this season and didn’t gather in a big group. I had a modest celebration with my mother and my girlfriend. I wish it could have been a big blowout, but hopefully next year. Hopefully the sacrifices we are making now will eventually pay off.
Despite the doom and gloom, and some truly negative news in the world, both close and far, there are things I am thankful for.
- I am still working. While I would certainly qualify for money from the government, it is nice that I am still able to earn a living. My school might be low on students, but they are trying to hang in there.
- Technology has made it possible for me to keep working from home. I have had to learn new things to integrate the technology, but that is great too. It has also changed the way I teach and helped me cut down on paper waste. I haven’t made a photocopy in seven months.
- My family has been rock solid throughout this period. Also, we have not caught Covid 19. Sadly, some of my former students have not been so lucky. My condolences go out to anyone who has lost somebody.
- I was able to celebrate my birthday with friends and family before the pandemic shut everything down. My other friends (who are all in the same age group) were not so lucky.
- I managed to get one of my vacations in before the pandemic made international travel very difficult. My trip to Colombia was eye-opening and although it had some difficulties, also had some really wonderful moments. My trip to South Africa was cancelled, but I am sure I will get there one day.
- A local restaurant which I discovered last year has managed to weather the storm and remain open for takeout. I hate it when a restaurant I frequent goes out of business. This one has lots of loyal customers and it should survive.
- I have discovered the new hobby of woodworking. I may not ever make anything beautiful or amazing (or even worth sharing in this blog) but even watching other people do it is fascinating.
- My girlfriend has been loving and supportive throughout this time and our relationship is stronger than ever.
- I have managed to cut down my TV time.
- The autumn colours have been especially beautiful this year.
- I didn’t have to mow the lawn very much at all this year.
- I managed to fix some things in my house, which made me feel like a handyman.
- The library reopened and allowed me to get some more books to read. It isn’t the same as before, but it will do.
- People have (re)discovered some of the simpler pleasures in life. People are cycling more, playing board games, going to the drive-in, doing jigsaw puzzles, making crafts, taking up hobbies, etc. It is rather nice to see.
- The blog may not have as many “views” as in years past, but it is still drawing new people and getting more comments than ever before. It is still a great outlet for me.
There is plenty more I could be and should be thankful for. However, I will leave it at this for now.