Leftovers

food chicken fresh rice

Photo by Keegan Evans on Pexels.com

Upon waking and opening my refrigerator door, I spotted the leftover Chinese food and thought it would make a good breakfast.  Then I spotted the leftover pizza and thought it too would make a great breakfast.  Then my eyes drifted over to my cereal stash and thought about that.  Besides realizing how hungry I am in the morning, I realized that I had a question for all my readers.

What food makes the best leftovers?

This entry was posted in blog, blog posts, blogging, blogposts, Chinese, comfort food, ethnic food, food, food blogging, perfect moment, pizza and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Leftovers

1. frangipani says:

Home cooked curry always tastes better the next day.
    I guess restaurant curry that tastes good might have been prepared a day ahead!

2. Cathy Cade says:

Any kind of stew or casserole (what’s the difference?) is better next day. But I always want to add more (mushrooms? prawns? leftover veg?) so it’s still too much.

I am no cooking expert, but I think a casserole has to be made in a casserole dish….and probably baked in an oven. Maybe a stew can be made this way, but I tend to think of stews as boiled in juice/sauce/gravy on the stovetop or in a crockpot…..

• Cathy Cade says:

That sounds about right… it’s just a question of which bit of the pot it gets burned onto. But once you throw in braising and tagines and suchlike… I tend to think of them all as meat (or not) in sauce. Stews, chillies, curries… they all taste better reheated next day, when the flavours have had time to brew a bit.

I usually hate leftovers, but some things taste better left over! Italian dishes like ravioli and lasagna can be good leftover if they are heated up right and potatoes au gratin can be reheated and taste even better especially if they are browned more than they were when they first came out of the oven. Fried shrimp is good too, if you reheat it in a toaster oven and make it extra crispy.

4. idlecyclist says:

Not a fan of reheated or cold pizza and don’t really get the concept of leftover pizza 😆

Leftover Chinese sounds good to me for breakfast though 😋

I will eat any tasty leftovers for breakfast, but since you asked for something specific I would say my favorite breakfast of leftovers RECENTLY was Sloppy Joes. Mom doesn’t like them so I was eating them for breakfast and lunch for like a week. I didn’t get tired of them until there was like one Joe left so I shoved that in the freezer and had it a couple weeks later when I was craving them again.

I always had trouble with Sloppy Joes because…well, they’re sloppy. I like the meat, but I didn’t like the buns. Maybe if I put them in a taco bowl..

Oh wait. I think I misread the question. The question was what makes the best leftovers, not specifically breakfast. My bad. Um….I guess anything where the flavors need to marry. In fact, there’s this “Magical Corn Chowder” we make where one of the steps is you MUST refrigerate it overnight before cooking it. That’s where the magic happens. Spaghetti, definitely better leftover because of all the spices marrying around in the fridge. LOL