Being Bad

20200705_162049

I have a short story to tell.  It feels like a confession, even though it isn’t.

My girlfriend is rather neat.  I don’t mean that she is a neat freak or anything like my third roommate in Japan.  She just takes pride in her house and is quite well organized.

Early on in our relationship, I noticed that her nail polish bottles were neatly lined up on a shelf in her bathroom.  Being the curious and deep thinker that I am, I wondered a lot about the order.  I would ask myself; Is it based on colour?  Is it based on shades of colour?  Is it based on when she bought them?

From time to time, the order would change, but not dramatically.  That’s when I started to experiment.  I found it fun to change the order of the bottles and wonder if she would notice.  If she were like Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory, she would notice right away and I would have gotten a stern lecture.

My little fun didn’t create any big waves and sometimes she would catch me and sometimes she wouldn’t.  She never yelled at me, but she would exit the bathroom and give me that knowing look that told me that I had been caught. She might chuckle at my efforts or she might just shake her head disapprovingly.

The truth is, I had been expecting to get caught.  I not only changed the order, but I also changed the physical orientation.  I moved them forward and back.  I created more space between them than they had before. I turned them around and I created interesting (to me) geometric patterns with them.

Why did I do this?  Of course, I wanted to see whether or not she would notice.  I also wanted to interject a bit of randomness into her life.  I like changing things and I like to see the ripples the changes make (this whole Covid 19 ripple is a bit much and the changes are going to be massive).

I hadn’t done this in a while, but then yesterday, I realized that her nail polish wasn’t observing social distancing (physical distancing is the better term but people seem to like social distancing more) rules and I had to remedy that.  In the picture, you can see I left the triplets together.

This entry was posted in confessions, Covid 19, organization, perfect moment, randomness and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Being Bad

1. 😂

Now you interview your girlfriend to give her observations. Because I really, really want to know what she was thinking when she caught you!

😀

She reads this blog. Hopefully she will comment.

• leggypeggy says:

Will wait to see what she says. Glad you didn’t do what my hubby did when I was away in the US for seven weeks—re-arrange the kitchen cupboards. He’s lucky to be alive.

• Sarah says:

My first reaction to anything unusual when it comes to arranging stuff is to doubt myself. I always think I might have misplaced something or just left it there in a state of preoccupation. This is why, early on in our relationship I mostly thought it must have been me again, but once Anthony hinted at the order of my nail polish bottles and whether there was a logic to their arrangement I knew who to blame 🙂
      I found it amusing and still do that he thinks it fun to mess with my nail polish bottles. I don’t have a very wide attention span so, he probably ends up being disappointed most of the time.

I envy anyone who is organized. No matter how hard I try to keep my makeup organized, I can never find the exact thing I’m looking for when I need it. I don’t use nail polish, but I suspect it would be the same issue! I liked this story!

You should *buy* her a new shade! (Delete this comment before she reads this!)

History tells me that I should not do this. The potential pitfalls are far greater than the rewards. I think buying something is great, but not cosmetics and especially not where colours are concerned.

Maybe I could buy a nail polish organizer…