What I Haven’t Done

20200510_131552While we all have been staying at home, many of us have found time to do things we did not have the time to do before–though I suspect we had the time, we probably wanted to use in on something else.  One of my co-workers is learning how to juggle.  Another is reorganizing his whole house.  Some are even learning to play guitar.

I haven’t done anything amazing like the above, but as I have already written about, I have managed to knock a number of things off the “to do” list and found time to investigate more future hobbies. (see my hobby blog for that).  The funny thing is not what I have done, but what I haven’t done.

Today, I noticed that the Saturday crossword in the comics pages of the woefully small newspaper.  It’s Sunday and there isn’t a mark on it.  It used to be that it was a priority for me.  Reading was also a priority.  I’ve still got the book I brought back from Colombia unfinished.  That is really unlike me.  I also haven’t watched a lot of TV or movies.

Then it hit me.  I chose to prioritize many of those things because they didn’t require a lot of physical energy.  The commute to and from work used to really wear me out.  I was up early and getting home late.  I needed to save my energy for bike rides when warm and snow shoveling in winter.  Now, I seem to have much more energy to tackle home projects and consider tackling even bigger ones.

Maybe I need to work from home forever……

This entry was posted in home maintenance, home repair, online, perfect moment, self isolation, to do list, working from home and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to What I Haven’t Done

I think many people will prefer to work from home.

I’m finally adding to and updating my blog with information, not just stories about me! I hope that lasts. I’ve always worked from home, so in that way things haven’t changed for me, but the state of the world chaos is causing me to worry and feel like I’m losing my mind sometimes. 😛

I hope you don’t feel too bad. Things will eventually get better. I hope your blog changes bring you good feelings. I will continue to be a reader. Your reading of my blog and the comments you leave are appreciated.

3. capejohn says:

Before I retired, I worked forty miles from home. I would drive 30 miles to a mall with my bike loaded into the car. The ten mile ride to an from work was always the best part of my day. If I had the option of working from home back then, I know I would have declined the offer so I could continue commuting by bike.

I have been working from home for almost 4 years now and I loooooove it. Unfortunately, I can’t say that I’ve worked on any fun hobbies or projects or anything. I really need to be more mindful about my abundance of free time.

I’ve read your blog. I don’t think you have an abundance of free time. Not every moment needs to be or should be focused on accomplishing things. Some days just need to be about relaxing.