Some Venting

pexels-photo-2186257.jpeg

Photo by Pedro Sandrini on Pexels.com

It is hard to write about Perfect Moments when I am somewhat cooped up at home.  After returning from Colombia, it seems that work wanted me to spend another week in self imposed isolation.  I get it.  However, since all of the students come from abroad, and they weren’t asked to self isolate, I questioned it.  I certainly understand not endangering my co-workers, but ….again, all of our students come from other countries and they arrive every week.

This all became a moot point now that my work is going to close the school for two weeks.  I am not sure what led up to this decision, but I suspect it had something to do with teachers fearing for their safety, and then asking their representatives to do something about it.  Again, that is mere speculation because nothing seems to be done with any real transparency.

So, as far as I know, online teaching will begin.  I predicted that this is where we were headed anyway.  This just speeds up the process before the technology, training and resources are really in place.

Why an I telling you all this?  Besides a few jokers, this community that I am part of has proven to be the more level headed and thoughtful than the others I belong to.

Thanks for letting me vent.

This entry was posted in anger, challenges, changes, danger, learning, obstacles, online, overcome, perfect moment, teaching, venting and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Some Venting

1. bgddyjim says:

Your assessment of “why” misses the big picture. If we just go about our lives, the disease will peak fast and hospitals will be overrun. They won’t possibly be able to keep up. If we minimize public interaction, it the peak flattens and hopefully hospitals can keep up.

I don’t necessarily agree with it, but I get it.

I certainly understand about overloading the health system. I wasn’t questioning that. It has more to do with applying the strategy at only one group and not the other. A moot point now.

• bgddyjim says:

Yep. I’m just thankful we’re not Spain. They actually outlawed cycling for two weeks there!

• My partner teaches at Seneca and many of his students are also international. Although they don’t arrive as often as yours do, they do frequently travel back and forth to visit family. So…he canceled class because he has young kids at home and the next day the college decided to move online. As did many other post-secondaries. And yes, it’s to give the health care system a break. It’s weird, that your students weren’t told to stay in for 2 weeks.

We have friends who attended a wedding in New York State and were asked at the border (driving, not flying) if they had been in contact with sick people. They said no and were sent on their way. No mention of self-isolation. The thing is, they could be carriers. They could have picked up the virus from guests or food or door knobs at the wedding venue. When their teen wanted to play basketball with mine, we said no. The teens were not happy. But my parents are old, one has Parkinsons and I just won’t risk it. SIGH.

Most people will weather the virus fine. Some won’t. And unfortunately the ones who won’t will overload the hospitals so we gotta do what we gotta do. Too bad they didn’t tell your students this little story. 😦

I do everything from home, so I’m used to it, but most people must be going crazy. There’s too much information and hype than in the past, so people panic more easily. Swine flu in ’09 was worse and the world didn’t close for it. Today I read Columbia closed it’s boarders too!

Pity the two-week closure didn’t coincide with your time in Colombia.

4. My wife is a teacher and now having to stay home working all her lessons remotely. Frustrating for her at times as some of the systems keep overloading and crashing, and not all students have the right e-tools yet. It’s a very fluid and evolving way to teach, and not without faults, but on the whole it’s working and helping to keep everyone from infecting each other. Crazy times!

5. Hunida says:

Lol okay I have to say that I loved the vent photo in the beginning & how you ended the post with “thanks for letting me vent” 😂 & hey, you were right– at least you got to be ahead of the online teaching game. 😉

Thanks for going back and reading my older blogs. I reread it and now look at the innocence of them planning to close for two weeks. That was 3 months ago and I don’t think we are planning to have face to face classes until September. We are not getting any new bookings, so by September, we will have lost a lot of students.

• Hunida says:

I hope that you will eventually get as many students as before! Crazy that you probably won’t be teaching face to face until September!

We were already in a bit of a skid in December, so things will not likely turn around until next summer. Eventually we will get back all the students we had, but it will take time. People are going to have to want to get back on a plane and deal with whatever quarantine measures are in place. When there are no quarantine rules, then things will pick up. Probably some online providers will manage to keep some students, so we are looking at a depleted pool of potential clients. Also, it depends on the economic needs of companies. If their workers don’t need English…..because there isn’t work or their clientele shifts to another country….well, things will be less exciting.
        How about you? Any word on when your workplace will open?

• Hunida says:

I am sorry! Has the lack of students been affecting you at all? Or have you been able to work doing other stuff still? It’s so hard when we really have no idea what’s coming next.

Las Vegas is still prohibiting live performances of any kind so I’m still not able to work. I’ve seen many other states opening up strip clubs recently though so I hope we will be soon, too!

Nothing is open here, and strip clubs are definitely not open. It makes me wonder how they are doing in Montreal……
        I am still working because we recently voted in a union, so I am very high on the seniority list. The only other person above me took voluntary lay off rather than deal with the whole teaching online thing. I am making more than unemployment insurance, but not much. I would normally be working “extra” hours in our peak season….but not this year.
        I hope things get going again for you. Glad you’re back among the blogging community to.
        Please take care of yourself.

• Hunida says:

Is Montreal a big strip club city?

I am so happy that your job is secured & that you’re still making more than unemployment even if you aren’t getting the extra hours you’re used to!

I hope so, too! Thank you, Anthony! I’m glad to be back & hope you are taking care of yourself as well! ❤

Montreal has a reputation of being a great strip club city. We don’t call it Vegas or the north or anything, but it has a reputation. Of course some of that is sketchy involving bikers and drugs, but that might or might not be true. What I do know is that it is not unheard of for girlfriends and wives to attend the clubs with their men, and no one being uncomfortable about that.
        They also have something called “sexy breakfast” which are topless or bikini breakfast restaurants.

• Hunida says:

Whaaat? I’d love to attend a sexy breakfast!!