Out of Context*

slice of loaf bread with dog face

Photo by Buenosia Carol on Pexels.com

I remember watching an episode of Seinfeld when Jerry remarks that it’s strange to see George’s father in Manhattan rather than Long Island.  The punch line is “it’s so out of context”.

Today’s Perfect Moment is much like that. I came across something so out of context that I might need to ramble a bit on it just to figure it out.  If I am unsuccessful, I will ask you faithful readers to help me.

I was on the up escalator between the subway platform and the subway entrance. I was walking on the left side while other people were standing on the left.  This is what passes for etiquette on the TTC.  It used to be advertised etiquette, but either fearing or experiencing an expensive lawsuit cured them of that.  Now it is informal good manners rather than truly codified behaviour.

As I passed my fellow lemmings that weren’t walking, I caught sight of something unusual.   A lovely young lady was embracing a kettle carried in the crook of her arm and nonchalantly ignoring the handle.  In the other hand she was carrying a large stainless steel four-slice toaster, which she gripped by sliding her hands down the toast slot.

It might strike you as odd that this is Today’s Perfect Moment, but because it was so out of context, I really felt it deserved it.

In case you were keeping score, that’s one kettle not held by the handle and one toaster gripped in a rather dangerous way. As for me, as cute as it was, it left me with some questions and some hypotheses.  Allow me to share a few with you:

Maybe she was moving house little by little. If she took one or two portable things each day, she could eventually get everything into one apartment or house.

Maybe she broke up with her partner and was moving out of their place. Perhaps her partner cheated on her and she wanted to get revenge by denying that person any breakfast.

I should also be clear that It was too cold and snowy for there to be a garage sale. She also didn’t bother putting either item in a bag or box.

I am really quite stumped.  It was all just so out of context.

**I thought of calling this post “Moving House: Two Appliances at a time.”  Please let me know what you think of either title.

This entry was posted in commuting, perfect moment, seinfeld, subway, TTC and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Out of Context*

1. What a unique observation…maybe she wasn’t thinking at all, she just grabbed the appliances in a detached sort of way.

2. The fox on toast drew me in. It’s so out of context.

3. bgddyjim says:

Well that’s something you don’t see every day! I wouldn’t even guess at the context. I’d have asked.

I tried to make eye-contact, but I was on the walk side of the escalator. I had hoped she was taking my bus, but that didn’t turn out to be the case–and I didn’t want to get all “stalker-ish” but now I wish I had asked.

4. I loved the “denying that person any breakfast” made me laugh out loud for some reason 😄

Thank you. Every now and then I come up with a good phrase–I wrote one last week (in the post Delicious) about clawing through a rambutan, Please check It out.

5. Another theory, maybe she was moving out of her office and some people bring in appliances. Or maybe someone was moving away and she was given the appliances by a friend because she moved into town recently and was starting over fresh or the other way around, maybe she got new kitchen appliances and the ones she had were perfectly good condition and she was dropping them off somewhere for a friend. I guess it’s all really out of context and we can guess forever what it could possibly be, which is the beauty (or curse) of not knowing for sure 🙂

Doge toast! Selectively Curious had me come up with another hypothesis: someone brought appliances they were giving away to the office, and this lady couldn’t pass up this exciting breakfast making opportunity.

(People at my job do bring in random freebies.)

Whaaaat? Why didn’t she put the two items in a box or a bag???? That is going to drive me nuts! Why would she just CARRY them? And I don’t want to put my Eggo in a toaster slot that someone’s subway hands have been down inside. #germophobe

I prefer the out of context title.

I was reading this again and I was planning on writing some kind of supportive comment about grimy hands and poptarts…then I looked back and realized you had written Eggos….then I wondered which was healthier and concluded that it was most probably eggos……and that is how my mind works.