The Battle Against Procrastination

procrastination

Today’s Perfect Moment is a victory over procrastination.  Without adding it to the list of New Year’s resolutions, I have quietly been trying to root it out of my life.  Far too often I have let things pile up and just not get done.  I’ve shrugged my shoulders, but actually felt like it should have been accomplished.

Today, I got both my driver’s license and health card renewed.  I also got the license sticker for the car and actually cleaned and dried the plate and put the sticker on.  That could have languished in the glove compartment for weeks or months if I hadn’t done it today.  I remember once that I left the thing in the car and it got so cold that it shattered.  I learned a hard lesson that day, and I don’t want to repeat it.

Lately, I’ve just thought I should get things done when I think about them and not wait until later.  This means putting dishes away soon after they are washed.  This means making my lunch for the next day the moment I think about it.  This also means putting stuff away and organizing stuff instead of thinking I will do it later.

Overall, I feel quite positive about this course of action.  Unfortunately, I can’t make everyone in my life do the same things.

Is there something you are procrastinating doing?  Do you have any tips you want to share?

This entry was posted in driving, perfect moment, procrastination and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to The Battle Against Procrastination

1. Sis says:

You need to rub a little bit of this into that person. Hmm.

2. Alien Resort says:

This makes one’s life so much better. Putting things off is like going into debt–your future course of action becomes restrained.

Dude…I’m sitting here procrastinating washing the dishes that are soaking the sink. I promise to get up and wash them as soon as I post this comment.

I like your idea of doing things as soon as you think of them. I tend to look at the clock and say “Hmm…it’s 8:37am. I will go in and do ____ at 9:00am”.

Sometimes that works out great. Sometimes I renegotiate with the clock several times, not unlike hitting snooze on the alarm clock.

I also know your battle with the car tags. It only takes a few seconds to slap the new one on! The past few years I’ve been good about it, but there were a couple times in the past that were ridiculous.

One time I was pulled over by the police and when I said “Oh, yah, it’s in the glove box. I wanted to give the plate a good cleaning first but I haven’t had time…”

He made me get out of the car and put the tag on the plate while he waited.

Another time, I suddenly realized the tag was missing on my plate!!! Someone stole it!!! How dare they!!! I ranted and raved about it to everyone. A neighbor told me how he partially slices his before putting it on the plate so if someone tries to remove it it will rip in half. I went to the local AAA office and got a new tag and put it on my plate. Then, a few months later I found the original tag in a pile of mail I had never gotten around to opening. So, it was NOT stolen. I had never put it on the plate!!!!!

That’s when I started putting my new tags on as soon as they arrive in the mail.

Ok now what was I going to go do????? Oh right. Dishes! Heading to the kitchen in 3….2….1!

4. Sarah Warsi says:

Great post, Anthony. There is so much satisfaction in just getting things done! Here’s to more of just doing stuff and less procrastination. 🙂

5. capejohn says:

Since I retired, procrastination is no longer in my life.

6. Pingback: The Signs are Everywhere | Today's Perfect Moment

7. Hunida says:

Oh my gosh, this reminds me! We still need to get our car registered LOL. Both boyfriend & I are the biggest procrastinators. 😭 Go you for changing your ways a bit!