Scenes from a Mall

20191229_235452

Forgive me if this turns into a rant. I want to focus on Today’s Perfect Moment, but I suspect that things are going to turn as I type this.

Today, I was out at a mall. We had multiple errands that involved exchanging a product, keeping our eyes out for something, and getting a gift for the host of a little get-together.  Additionally, since this is boxing week, I wanted to keep my eyes open for some deals.

If I am keeping score, we accomplished two out of the four things. As a bonus, we weren’t completely annoyed by other shoppers.  The Perfect Moment in all of that was getting my nephews some really good birthday presents for 2020 that I couldn’t have afforded if not for a fantastic discount.  Both gifts are very cool and I am sure my nephews will like them.  I have to hold onto them for some months, but I think it will be worth it.

Okay, not ranty yet.

Here’s thing. We were planning on going to this nice chocolate store to pick up the host gift.  When we got there, the whole thing was boarded up.  It was gone.  We had just eaten some ice cream there in November and it was gone.  Closed!  Relocated?  Who knows?

It got me thinking that maybe no small stores can survive any longer. Rents for housing in the area are way too high, I can only imagine that retail spaces are just as likely to be astronomical.  Does that mean only huge corporations can do business?  That is certainly true of coffee shops.  I haven’t seen a non-branded coffee shop in years, and the likelihood of a new player arriving on scene seems hard to fathom.

This rant isn’t about things changing. I like change and I like to see new things turn up.  The problem is that nothing new turns up.  It’s just the same old thing; identical in every way.  I am kind of tired of that copy paste mentality.

Mini Rant complete.

This entry was posted in boxing day, deals, perfect moment, shopping, shopping mall and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Scenes from a Mall

1. cupcakecache says:

We have small coffee shops all over Florida. Starbucks takes the lead though as the smaller stores, just like our former cupcakerie are more difficult to discover. You have to be looking.

THIS!!!!! “The problem is that nothing new turns up. It’s just the same old thing; identical in every way. I am kind of tired of that copy paste mentality.”

Yes!!!!! Finally someone has put what I always feel into words!!!!! It’s just the same old thing.

I’m so tired of losing all our nice little Mom & Pop eateries and stores to the same old thing. Starbucks. Ugly “mixed use” buildings”.

The loss of a chocolate shop is a MAJOR tragedy for sure. Sigh…

Exactly what’s been going on in the US. Mostly big chains. Sure there are still some small businesses, but by and large, this is The Corporate States of America. Big box stores are taking over everywhere. The only small businesses that survive are the ones that already had money from way back. (i.e. their current owners inherited them and they already had money)

4. gemmi72 says:

Mr Jones and I were discussing one of the issues with this yesterday! As owners of a small business one of the most frustrating things is that people either do one of two things;
    A) They contact you and ask you all kinds of questions about s product they are thinking of buying and then when they have gotten all the information they want FOR FREE they go buy the product somewhere else because the price in a large chain is lower.
    B) They buy a product in a large chain store at a great price and then contact the small business that they have heard of through a friend for technical advice, again for FREE, because they aren’t getting the service they need at the place of purchase.
    In both cases people don’t realise that the great service and availability that they want is worth paying for. In this world of click and instant gratification we have lost sight of the value of other people’s hard work.

You are right. I wish I had the solution to this problem, but I don’t.
      I try and patronize smaller businesses for my cycling stuff, even though I can get the products cheaper online. My reasoning is that I am going to want their technical help later and I am willing to pay a little more for it. Sadly, that is not how everyone thinks.

5. lkvy says:

Victoria still has lots of indie places, thankfully!