The Cat Upstages Christmas Dinner

So we did the Turkey thing at my place for a select group: my Mom, my Aunt, and my girlfriend.  Obviously, I was there too.  I can’t call it the full on Turkey thing because we didn’t have to stuff the bird–which although it came from a box was quite delicious.

We had the tree on with all the blinking lights we could find. We also had the CD player pumping out lots of Christmas tunes.  There were stockings, but surprisingly nobody got any coal.

In the brief moments that the TV was on, most channels were airing Christmas episodes. In one, the Jeffersons were stringing popcorn to decorate their tree.  It was then that my Mother asked me if people really do that.  I really couldn’t answer because my traditions mostly come from her, and that is not something we do.  So, does anyone out there string popcorn for their tree?  I have to conclude that it is either a tradition that has gone out of favour, or TV is fooling us again–just ask all those Japanese people who go to see the Aurora Borealis because an American TV show told them that was their custom.

If anyone actually strings popcorn, I would like to hear about it.

As for Today’s Perfect Moment, it had to be my cat sneaking between me and my girlfriend on the couch. He joined us in complete stealthy mode and I was surprised to see him there.  He hung around to get his head stroked and his ears scratched–then he tired of us and walked away.   I took that as his way of saying Merry Christmas.

This entry was posted in cat, Christmas, comfort food, eating, food, food blogging, perfect moment and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to The Cat Upstages Christmas Dinner

We sued to string popcorn when the daughters were small. Scratch the cat for us.

I have a friend that did that once. She remembered that the popcorn has to be made ahead so it can sit out and become stale. No butter on it, of course. Ha ha. She said it’s really hard to jam the needle through the stale popcorn so in the end it was not worth the trouble and once was enough.

But, when people first started the tradition back in the days before internet, TV, radio…it was probably just something tedious to do to make the long, boring evenings go by faster. LOL

PS that is so sweet what your cat did!!!! #ILoveCats

4. We never did the popcorn thing either, it perplexed me actually to see this being done on American television. Then, when the kids were small (like Kindergarten age) we found out that some families did do this here. One mom said it was an easy way to keep the kids occupied and quiet for a little while and if they snack on the popcorn it was a two-for-one sort of deal: busy and snacking, two things small children enjoy the most. So I guess I get it. 🙂

5. bgddyjim says:

LOL… We’re down in Florida at my sister-in-law’s. She strung popcorn and cranberries.

6. The popcorn thing is so interesting, I’d never heard of that before. My Dad loves popcorn, so I might do that for his tree next year. Merry Christmas!

7. lkvy says:

No popcorn for me. The most baffling xmas tradition I’ve seen on TV has to be how everybody in the family seems to own proper (and often holiday-themed) pajamas.

8. Stringing popcorn garlands has gone the same route as candles to light a Christmas tree. Although we still have garlands and lights they are nearly always (Lights should be!) factory manufactured. Perhaps we should go back to popcorn and cookies to decorate. Less waste and we can feed the birds after. I did string popcorn at least once when growing up (Not a British or Canadian tradition which makes me think my parents were humouring us) then again when my eldest (now 45) was young.

Less plastic would not be a bad thing. I saw at least one gift wrapped with newspapers at this year’s Christmas and I think there will be more next year–or grocery stores will start using paper bags again and those could be used.