Typing Through the Typos

blue office eraser orange

Photo by Pixabay on Pexels.com

Dear readers and members of the WordPress community, I need your help.

Let me explain. As of late, a friend has been pointing out the numerous typos and errors that I have been making while writing these posts.  Sometimes I am informed early enough that few readers are affected.  However, sometimes, I cannot get back to the post to correct the horrible mistakes early enough and my readers are exposed to my brutal butchery of the English language.

I don’t know whether I am making more mistakes lately, or if my friend is getting better at spotting my mistakes. Neither answer will leave me particularly satisfied, so let’s shelve it for a moment.

Being aware that my work has come under increased scrutiny, and genuinely wanting to be better, I tried hard to do a better job on the second most recent post. Instead of hitting “publish” quickly after I finished the last post, I let it “rest” for an hour before I went back over it.  I thought that this would be similar to “fresh eyes” on the task, or at least a more thorough look.  I had hoped this would do the trick. I hoped I would be able to look at the words as an objective reader.  Sadly, the result was not any better and I had to go back and fix my typos after it had already been published.

So, I am asking you your secret. How do you avoid making mistakes with your writing?  How do you edit your work?  Is there a way for you to look at your work as if it wasn’t your work?  Any tips or tricks, any helpful advice would be appreciated.

I’ve looked over this work, but I suspect my readers will find mistakes that I have made.

This entry was posted in Aspirations, Reflections, Perfection, blog, blog posts, blogging, blogposts, editing, growing your blog, mistakes, travel writing, writing and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Typing Through the Typos

1. Bryan Fagan says:

I am a month ahead of all my writing. Unless something important comes up where I need to address immediately everything has been written long before it’s published. I do that to avoid the topic you have just written.

My next post is Wednesday. Tomorrow I will go over it, see if any corrections are needed. Maybe a better opening or closing and so on. I’ll add a picture or two or more if needed and by late Tuesday night I will publish it.

Try that if you can. That way you can write as free as you want knowing you’ll edit it later.

I definitely like your system and can see clear advantages in it. Unfortunately, writing about “Today’s Perfect Moment” has a bit of immediacy. I might be able to wait a day, but much longer and it really isn’t about today.
      Yes, I could cheat, but since I am writing this for my happiness, that would not really work out.
      However, a little delay and some distance from the post before editing sounds like a great idea.
      Thanks for you comment. I do appreciate it.

2. Self editing is always difficult because it is your ‘baby’. I edit the work of others far more easily than anything I write. One practice I learned is to read from the bottom page up – starting with the final word. Time consuming? Yes. Worth it? Yes. You might not catch grammar errors (for you that does not seem to be an issue) but you will see the spelling errors. Also know that sometimes it is not you. (There, their, they’re; to, too, two; etc. seems to be a major problem with this platform)

3. Margie Swain says:

Looks good to me. Or shall I say god. 😜

4. bionicOldGuy says:

I always create my post in Word first, and run it’s spellchecker. Then I paste it in WP. Alternatively, you can make sure to be on the lookout for words other than proper names that WP has underlined in red. For some reason I catch mistakes better in WP after they are published than before the editor. Sometimes I end up fixing the post and having to hit “update” a few times. So I try to review the post in “preview” mode before I publish it.
    But despite all of the above, we all make mistakes!

I use Word as well. It catches my spelling errors, but not when I mix there and their, or to and too–maybe the grammar check has been shut off. I will have to check that .
      Thanks for your comment. We all make mistakes, but I just hate making the obvious ones.

• @bionicOldGuy – Ironic given the topic’s editing. It’s “…run its spellchecker ..” Not “it’s” — the contraction for “it is.” Third-grade English, n’est pas. Why do so few care about basics of language these days?! Arrrrggggh.

• bionicOldGuy says:

The correct phrase in french is “n’est-ce pas” not “n’est pas”. I don’t think the problem is people not caring about language, I think it’s arrogant people on the internet that like to look down on others

5. lkvy says:

I also rarely publish immediately. My worst mistakes usually come from editing a sentence and forgetting to remove all words from the previous version. 😳

I shouldn’t care because I’m not a professional writer. At the same time, as a disabled person I find it difficult to allow myself to make mistakes. If I do, will it be attributed to my disability?

Why can’t I just be comfortably mediocre?!

Comfortably mediocre sounds great, but our society (including the one we have created on WP) is not geared for that. We see others with their legion of followers and want that. We read great posts which move us, and we want that too. We want to reach people or we wouldn’t be here. We’d be writing in our paper diary and not showing anyone.
      Your point about disability is interesting, and I guess it works …I am going to say backwards and forwards (lacking the right word). You probably don’t want or need people giving you a pass based on your disability, but you also don’t want people attributing mistakes to it either. That’s a tough road.
      I am an ESL teacher and when I make mistakes, I feel people are judging me in that context–he’s a fraud, he shouldn’t be teaching English.
      However, based on the feedback I have gotten, it seems like I am far from alone.
      Thanks for your comment.

6. rootchopper says:

I gave up on this a long time ago. I do my best then move on with life.

It happens to more people than you know. I check my post a million times, it looks good, I hit Publish, I look at it again and notice 3 mistakes. I fix them, update, I notice 3 more mistakes. It happens to us all. LOL

8. Pingback: Well Done Everyone | Today's Perfect Moment

9. Secret? No secret. Simply a matter of caring enough about words and quality. Do mistakes and typos still happen? Sure. Human nature. Even skilled eagle-eyed editors (of which I’m one I’ve known many others) miss transposed letters or incorrect apostrophe. Devil’s in the details. Sloppiness and laziness are character defects that don’t present well in writing — or any other craft. Commitment to quality shows in the work. Always.

10. “of which I’m one AND I’ve known many” … haha, brain faster than fingers & price of not rereading before hitting send …

11. Peggy says:

I use grammarly, the free chrome widget finds most things, not all, but I definitely see an improvement.

12. Hunida says:

Yess!!! I always re-read the whole post before I publish, finding obvious mistakes, but once I hit publish & read it again… I find at least one more every single time.