Believing the Hype

IMG_20181019_101738460

Most bloggers would remember to take a picture before tearing into the package.

No, I am not shilling for Cliff Bars.  They are not paying me.  They are not delivering them to my house by the caseload.  I wish they were, but they’re not.  The picture is there because it’s part of a story….or something like a story.

I’ve been eating Cliff Bars since my first time bonking on a group ride.  One of the other riders handed me a bar and said that I better understand about feeling hungry on a ride.  It was advice I took to heart.  I tried a few other brands, but these became my go to brand.  They are pretty easy to get at the supermarket and I can usually find a sale before they run out.

While reading something on the internet (maybe it was a comment on a blog, maybe it was a forum post…) some cyclist claimed that chocolate brownie was the best tasting Cliff Bar. Someone agreed with the person, but claimed that the flavour was not available in Canada.  They might even have gone so far as to postulate a conspiracy theory.  Either way, I noted the words because I had never heard of that flavour either.  I looked back into my memory, but couldn’t remember seeing that one.

Oh well, I know that we don’t have the variety of products in Canada that they have in the US.  I mean, I have never seen purple ketchup, but I know it exists somewhere.  We have ketchup chips, and a wide variety of poutine–so we’re good.

As luck would have it, I was shopping and knew that the bars were on sale. I expected my usual flavours, but there on the shelf, sitting apart from the others, was a lone box of chocolate brownie.  I grabbed it instinctually/instinctively*** (I looked both of these words up and can’t decide which I should use).

Remember when I wrote that someone spent a bit of time praising this flavour. The thing is, whenever something has been hyped to me, I am, more often than not, disappointed.  As a result of this, I guessed that I would like this bar (it is chocolate after all) but I figured that chocolate and peanut butter would still rank number one.  I wasn’t going to listen to someone gush away on the internet and be fooled…..

I know what you’re thinking……and you’re right. It was awesome.

***What do you think?  Should I have used instinctively or instinctually?  This is a chance for you to be smarter than the English Teacher.

Advertisements

This entry was posted in Aspirations, Reflections, Perfection, bicycles, cycling, cycling gear, food, food shopping, grocery shopping, nutrition, shopping, snacks and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Believing the Hype

1. Sheree says:

Clif bars are the best but I don’t think I’ve seen brownie flavoured ones in France.

Have never had, let alone seen, a Cliff Bar. I’d probably use instinctively.

3. bgddyjim says:

It’s definitely instinctively, unless one tends to pretentiousness. Instinctually is technically a run on by definition but is used as a psychological term that, interestingly means exactly what you want it to. Instinctually is scientifically correct, but not literally correct.

I am not smarter than the English teacher. I just know that I can enter “instinctively or instinctually” into Google and it’ll spit out the answer.

4. Bryan Fagan says:

Never had one. Now I’m curious.

5. Bryan Fagan says:

None. I’ll have to see if we have any around town.

6. Hunida says:

I am gagging at the thought of purple ketchup & ketchup chips. I haven’t heard of either one! Have you ever tried Clif’s sister bars, the Luna bars?!

As far as I can figure, purple ketchup just tastes like ketchup and is sold as a novelty for kids parties. I’ve never had this as it is only sold in the US.
      Ketchup chips are apparently awesome…maybe like barbecue for beginners….I don’t really know. However, any Americans that I have met, usually mention them in a revered kind of way–kind of like when the King of Queens guy mentioned that he had a passport because we still had the McRib in Canada.
      I haven’t tried Luna bars (I have tried Lara bars–four ingredients only and none of them with meat…figs, dates, nuts, salt and chocolate…) but I will definitely try some Luna bars. I have seen them, just never tried them. There are so many bars that it could be the subject of an entire blogging existence…..maybe it should.

• Hunida says:

Ohhhh! I think I remember that purple ketchup. There was green too lol. I just don’t really like the condiment that much so the chips don’t sound pleasant to me. I LOVE King of Queens lol & the McRib was one of my faves as a kiddo. 😛

There really are SO many similar bars out there. You could def make a post of your fave ones. 🙂

7. Instinctively or instinctually … inquiring wordsmith minds need to know. And in the West, nobody knows more definitely than Merriam Webster.
    The lengthy explanation (https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/instinctive-vs-instinctual-usage-difference🙂
    In short:
    “…more recent commentators do see a distinction between the two: namely, that instinctive describes something (as an action) done or controlled by one’s instincts.
    “… Instinctual, on the other hand, tends to be used in contexts where it means ‘relating to instinct,’ describing not specific behaviors but the notion of behavior itself. For that reason instinctual tends to be used more in scientific writing.”

Involving words, their meaning, details, crafting, beauty, sheer power, I may be the Last Man Standing but dammit if I don’t care or take the time to accomplish these tasks, who will?!
    Hope you leave a wiser person on my effort. 🙂