When Students Draw

IMG_20180824_110533824

I am rather late getting to Friday’s Perfect Moment, but it was a pretty tiring work week. I had to choose between writing the blog and getting to bed early so I would be fresher for Saturday morning’s ride.  Given that I fell asleep on the couch watching a rerun on TV made it clear to me that I should opt for sleep.

Some of my students like to doodle while I teach.  I suppose this is part of the process.  Honestly, I appreciate it more than when I catch them texting on their phones.  Sometimes people take it too far and I wonder if they have paying attention at all.

During one of my classes, I came upon a student who had taken some time to draw me. I hadn’t posed or anything, and if she had asked me, I probably would have said no.  I find drawings to be even harsher critics of a person’s looks than a photograph.  That probably stems from my uncle.  He had drawn pictures of many in the family and he told me that he needed to work with flaws or imperfections to make the pictures work.  Luckily I have a scar from some stitches I got when I was quite young that have grown with me.

In this case, I actually kind of liked the picture. It wasn’t flattering, but perhaps I am getting more comfortable with my looks.  I just wish I had combed my hair a little better.  The student insisted that this wasn’t her best work and has vowed to draw a better picture of me.  If that happens, I will post it here as well.

This entry was posted in art, Aspirations, Reflections, Perfection, class, ESL, pictures, smart phone, students, teaching and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to When Students Draw

1. Hunida says:

Aww that’s so sweet that she drew you!! She made you look so sad though lol. 😦

It’s possible that I don’t smile very much…..or maybe the class was bothering me at the moment she drew me.

• Hunida says:

I almost wrote “smile!” at the end of my comment but I remember reading something that said you shouldn’t tell other people to “smile.” LOL.

I often tell other people to smile–then one co-worker berated me for it. I berated him back.

• Hunida says:

Lolol okay good, I am glad you berated him back & aren’t part of the people who think it’s somehow rude to tell others to smile… ❤

Far too often people are in a situation when they should smile, but don’t. My students are living a dream. They are young and getting to travel to another country….and meet people from so many other countries. They are getting to eat food from so many places and getting so much more than an English education. I think it only right to tell them to smile.

• Hunida says:

Hahah, I totally and 100% agree with you, Anthony! But, I know a lot of trolls who would attack you for saying that. Crazy, huh?

2. i think this is great, but also, I think drawing, doodling or creating is also an excellent way to focus!

3. It’d be fun to see this alongside a photo of you donning the same expression!

4. Pingback: A New Picture | Today's Perfect Moment