Back in the Saddle Again….briefly

Vietnam 2017 509

Further to yesterday’s blog about whether to go on a bike trip or not, I decided to get out on my old mountain bike and tool around the neighbourhood. I hadn’t been on a bike of any kind in months.  Let me tell you it felt great.

I pedalled uphill and coasted downhill. I felt the incredibly chilly air burn into my lungs and felt my fingers grip the bars numbly as the cold seeped into my long fingered cycling gloves.  My face reddened either by effort or windburn. It sounds kind of hellish, but after the hellishness of not riding, this was pure heaven.  Regardless of what it means for my trip, that feeling of racing downhill is definitely Today’s Perfect Moment.

I have to admit, my calf did feel the pain, but not always. My feet felt the pain, but not always.  I am not sure what it really means, but hopefully the doctor will have some more concrete answers for me.

If not, I found a tour that covers many of the same places (plus a few more), but without taxing bicycle rides. I probably wouldn’t have even considered it, but thankfully one reader (Violetonlineisonline) made me stop and reconsider my options.  I definitely want to get away and see and experience something.

My booking window is closing fast, but I guess that is part of the adventure.

This entry was posted in Aspirations, Reflections, Perfection, bicycles, bicyles, cycling, Exodus Travels, fitness, health, travel, weather and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Back in the Saddle Again….briefly

1. monkeyfaithkim says:

Sounds so fun! It’s been too long since I’ve been on a bike, I’m jealous of you!

You needn’t be jealous. You can get on a bike. As they say…it’s just like riding a bike. You never forget how to do it.
      I am trying to sound encouraging and nonchalant at the same time. I hope you are mostly getting the encouraging part.

• monkeyfaithkim says:

Haha yes I do actually feel encouraged! Maybe I will do some bike riding this weekend…

If you’ve seen my most recent post, I am going to need a heatwave if I am going to get on the bike this weekend.
        I will get on the stationary bike though.
        I hope you get out.

• monkeyfaithkim says:

Just saw it! I’m hoping for snow soon in Wisco but alas it has not arrived yet.
        I was able to ride the stationary bike at the gym the other day since it was a little too cold to bike outside but you have definitely inspired me. Hopefully you can get on the bike soon!

I am going to cycle in Vietnam, Thailand, and Cambodia in about 3 weeks. Watch the blog for my explanation…..