A student from one of the classes I substituted for recently asked me “how long is half an hour?” Having patience, I quickly answered that it was 30 minutes. I walked away from the encounter thinking I had answered the student’s question and did a good job. It was only then that I realized that I a lot more to consider.
I started to wonder is thirty minutes was a long time. Consider, if you will, the following observations:
- 30 minutes of work is way longer than 30 minutes of fun
- 30 minutes to get ready for work goes like a flash, but 30 minutes waiting for the bus just crawls by
- 30 minutes of sleep is woefully inadequate but a thirty-minute nap is pretty awesome
- a 30 minute lunch is only slightly unacceptable, whereas a 30 minute dinner is ludicrous
- a 30 minute TV show is only about 22 minutes
- 30 minutes of cooking time leaves a lot of my food horribly undercooked
So now….did I really help the student at all?